St. Michael the Archangel Episcopal Church

361 Richmond Street, El Segundo, California, 90245

(310) 322-2589

stmichaelselsegundo@gmail.com

Sunday Service Times:

8:00 am : Holy Eucharist Rite I

10:00am : Holy Eucharist Rite II ( with music)


OUR HISTORY


In March 1928 St. Michael’s Church School started with a small group of El Segundo women and their children attending St. Cross Church and Sunday School in Hermosa Beach.


In March 1931 this group formed a guild and set up by-laws, taking the name of El Segundo St. Cross Guild.  Subsequently, a choir was formed to sing with St. Cross.


In 1937 the decision was made to look for a new building and the group rented the Christian Science Church in El Segundo.  The first Sunday school service, as well as church school was held there (with 75 participants) on February 7, 1937.


In 1939 the group moved their “church” to the Girl Scout’s building.  The Sunday school grew.  The children chose the name “St. Michael’s” and so at some time in 1940 the El Segundo branch of St. Cross became St. Michael’s Sunday School.  Sunday school continued in the scout house for almost five years.


In January 1944 the church relocated to the City Hall auditorium.  In March of 1944, an option was taken on three lots at Holly and Richmond Streets.  After escrow, $800 was paid for the lots.


In 1948 a Lutheran Church in Westchester was purchased.  The building was moved to its present location in El Segundo and became the house of worship to be known as St. Michael’s Church.


In 1950 four additional lots were purchased for $2,000.


As the curate for St. Cross, The Reverend Gordon B. Yeaton was responsible for St. Michael’s Mission Church.  In February 1956 Father Yeaton was called as full time vicar of St. Michael’s where he remained until 1968 The mission also bought a vicarage at 612 Whiting Street.


In September 1957 a building fund campaign was started and an overall plan for a future parish hall, church and classrooms was drawn up.  The first phase of the parish hall was completed in 1959.  In addition, the women of the church opened a thrift shop on Grand Avenue with all proceeds going to the parish hall loan.


In January 1961 St. Michael the Archangel received parish status.


In June 1966 the final payment was made on the parish hall.


The Reverend Charles T. Rines was called to St. Michael’s in 1968.  During his four year tenure Father Rines introduced new services to the congregation.


In 1972 The Reverend Richard H. Duval was called as rector.  Father Duval had a large family and lived in the rectory.  St. Michael’s had a large women’s group, confirmation classes, annual Shrove Tuesday pancake suppers and an annual fish fry. During this time a new Book of Common Prayer and new Hymnal were introduced.  The 1928 Prayer Book continued to be used for both the 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. services; however, the congregation declined.  During this time, a private nursery school started renting the parish hall.  The additional income helped with the budget, as the parish felt the effects of the general decline in American church-attendance during this period.  Father Duval retired in 1992.


In 1994 The Reverend G. Kevin Taylor was called as the new priest.  Father Kevin came with much enthusiasm and new ideas.  The old “office” area was demolished and a new smaller space, Yeaton Hall, was built.  All genders were encouraged to serve at the altar.  The 1979 Prayer Book Rite I and II were used for weekly services.  The congregation grew.


In 2001 it was decided that St. Michael’s should start its own nursery school.  The door to St. Michael’s Children’s Center was opened in 2002.  Melissa Albers, a member of the church, became its founding director.  A weekly church service was held with the children from the school.  Father David Bowser and Mother Elizabeth Morse were both part time clergy.  Father Kevin retired in 2004.  The Reverend Elizabeth Morse was assigned as priest-in-charge under special circumstances.


In 2005 Mother Elizabeth was called as the new rector.  She involved the congregation by creating ministries of chalice bearers, lectors, intercessors, ushers, and acolytes.  Mother Elizabeth was welcoming to new families and began a more involved outreach ministry.  These ministries included a local food bank and a women’s shelter.


Mother Elizabeth and her family decided to move back to the Northwest following her husband’s retirement as executive director of Seamen’s Church Institute in San Pedro in 2011. 


In September 2011 The Reverend Marilyn Omernick began her tenure at St. Michael’s as priest-in-charge during an intentional interim ministry. In addition to the regular priestly duties, Mother Marilyn was the spiritual advisor to the search process and spearheaded the creation of a parish profile to assist the search committee with self-reflection. She also oversaw financial and organizational improvements at St. Michael’s Children’s Center during changeover of directors and brought several new families into the parish.


In January 2014 The Reverend Dina Ferguson was called as priest-in-charge under special circumstances. During 2014 Mother Dina and the vestry and congregation of St. Michael’s worked  together with the intention of calling her as our next rector. A mutual decision was made by the vestry and Mother Dina under the guidance of Bishop Bruce in January 2015 to call her as our new rector. At a festive celebration on March 7, 2015 , the Rev. Dina Ferguson was installed as our sixth rector by Bishop Bruno and our ministry together continues.